Welcome to Chic Cuisine. Every fortnight I am going to post some of my delicious, tasty and economical recipes here on our very own OurKilcock.ie. Please feel free to post any questions or queries in relation to the recipes and I’ll be happy to answer them. Please use your own judgement on cooking times and measurements within reason as all of us do things a little different.
Fresh Herb Crusted Cod with Summer Champ
This is a light, tasty and fragrant meal. Although I have suggested cod here, I see my favourite little discounter supermarket are selling halibut and sea bass fillets for a very reasonable €3.49 for 2 fillets, these would be perfect. Also if you do not have sun blushed tomatoes just substitute with halved cherry tomatoes. Champ is basically a fancy word for mash traditionally with cabbage in it. However using ingredients which are in season I have chosen to use scallions. I have suggested microwave steaming the potatoes, feel free to use whatever method you normally use to cook your potatoes.
Serves: 2 | Time: 30mins
- 400g cod (150g/200g cod per serving)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 50g butter, melted
- 6/8 sun blushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp chopped chives, parsley, dill, mint
- 1 tsp ( ½ lemon) lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional – 4 tiger prawns
- 4 large potatoes
- Knob of butter
- Splash of milk
- 2 scallions, finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Place the parchment paper on the baking tray and drizzle with a little oil.
- Mix all the ingredients for the herb crumb in a bowl with the melted butter.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper and using your hands or a spoon place and compress the crumb on top. Place onto the parchment paper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Check the middle to make sure it’s cooked before serving.
- Microwave steam potatoes: wash and peel potatoes, half or quarter if very big. Place in a microwavable container with enough water to cover 1 cm of the bottom of the container. Cover with cling film and pierce a hole in the top. Steam for 9 mins at 850 watts (this can vary). Strain out the water, mash with 1 knob of butter, a splash of milk and 2 finely diced scallions.
- Place the champ in the centre of the plate, sit the fish on top and place a little sprig of herb over the top.
Optional – lemon butter sauce – this is so quick and easy however if your watching the saturated fat content, maybe give it a miss. Melt 50g butter, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper in the microwave. Drizzle around the fish.
- Serve with steamed green beans or a side salad.
Next time, check out my Thai chicken noodle soup, great for bringing as lunch to the office or a quick supper.