Ooh la la……. ok here is the very seductive Valentines layered dark and white chocolate malteaser mousse recipe. I have layered this into a champagne glass but feel free to use martini glasses. This looks a little complicated but just read the recipe through first and get organized and you will be fine. Have 5 bowls ready from the start and I promise it will make the process far less complicated. I have named the mousse dark and white , if you like dark chocolate then use about 60% cococa solids, however my preference is for milk chocolate about 35% – 46% cocoa solids so that is what I use. Cadburys Dairymilk also works great. I have no doubt both you and your partner will definitely enjoy this little Valentines treat. Feel free to ask me any questions if your unsure and let me know how its goes.
- 75g white chocolate
- 75g milk chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 125ml double cream
- 2 packets malteasers
- Whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Separate the eggs. Set the yolks (yellows) aside.
- Whisk the egg whites until they also form stiff peaks (fluffy clouds)
- Place a heat resistant (pyrex) bowl over a small pan filled with a small amount of simmering water. Break the chocolate into the bowl and melt the milk chocolate first.
- In a separate bowl break the white chocolate into small pieces and then melt this over the simmering water.
- At this point you should have egg yolks in a bowl, whipped egg whites in a bowl, whipped cream in a bowl and two more bowls one with melted milk chocolate and one with white chocolate.
- Ok, now you are going to be working simultaneously with both milk and white chocolate mixtures.
- Mix half the egg yolk into the milk chocolate mixture and the remaining hallf into the white chocolate mixture.
- Then stir half the cream into the milk chocolate mixture and the remaining half into the white chocolate mixture.
- Now gently fold half the egg whites into the milk chocolate mixture and the remaining half into the white chocolate mixture.
- Ok mousses done. Now its time to start layering.
- With a rolling pin / bottle roughly crush one packet of malteasers
- From the other packet place one whole malteaser in the bottom of each glass. Spoon over 4/6 teaspoons of milk chocolate mousse. Sprinkle on a layer of crushed malteasers. Set in the fridge for 10 mins. Remove, pop in another malteaser and then spoon in 4/6 teaspoons of white chocolate mousse. Again sprinkle on a layer of crushed malteasers.
- Repeat this last step twice more and allow to set for at least four hours in the fridge.
- Overnight is best and please do not be tempted to out it in the freezer. It doesn’t work.
This is Chic Cuisine. Every fortnight I post some of my delicious, tasty and economical recipes here on our very own OurKilcock.ie. Please feel free to post any questions or queries in relation to the recipes and I’ll be happy to answer them. Please use your own judgement on cooking times and measurements within reason as all of us do things a little different.