Barbecue Ideas with a Twist
Ok , so the same old, same old cremated burgers and half cooked sausages can get a bit boring and with the blue sky again after a bout of rain I thought I’d put together a couple of simple newideas to kick start any BBQ this summer. Normally, and for the pros out there don’t condemn me but, a really handy tip particularly if you are cooking for large numbers is to cook everything inthe oven first and transfer to the BBQ for the last 10 – 15 mins. Also remember it is vital to havethe BBQ really hot before you put any food on it.Sticky Chicken and Bacon SkewersFirst thing first – ALWAYS soak your skewers in hot water for about 20mins before use to stop them burning. As a quick cheats alternative use a honey mustard salad dressing. The homemade one does taste much better though.
- 2 chicken fillet
- 6 slices of streaky bacon
- 1 red onion
- 2 peppers
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare all the ingredients. Cut the chicken into cubes. Cut each streaky rasher in half.
- Peel the red onion, cut into wedges. Wash, deseed and chop the peppers into chunks
- Using a fork, mix together the honey, mustard and olive oil.
- Wrap the chunks of chicken in the streaky bacon.
- Layer the food onto the skewer – pepper, chicken, onion, pepper and chicken.
- Brush or pour the marinade on to the skewers. Do this over a separate bowl in order tocatch the marinade and continue to reapply.
- Place on a hot griddle/BBQ for 15mins turning constantly.
- Spritz with a little lemon juice and serve.