These cookies are a total indulgence, but ooohhh so worth it !!!! On a cold wintery day, the aroma of fresh baked cookies wafting through the house, fire on and a mug of steamy tea and I promise you the world will feel like a better place. No one will ever question your domestic goddess status after these delights come out of the oven all golden and crisp.
The recipe calls for real butter - I beg of you please do not try to substitute it for any low fat alternatives or margarine. I use the Aldi dark chocolate with orange pieces and I also purchased the Ocean Spray dried cranberries here too. No special kitchen kit is necessary at all so there is no excuse.
Makes about 10 cookies
200g plain flour
50g icing sugar
Zest 1 orange
Handful dried cranberries
2 small bars choclate & orange (100g)
- Preheat the oven to 180 oC/Gas 6. Grease a baking sheet.
- Weigh out the ingredients.Wash & grate the skin of the orange, bash up the chocolate into small pieces.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, cut the butter into small pieces and rub in with finger tips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the icing sugar,cranberries,chocolate & zest. Knead the mixture together (sometimes the heat from your hands will bring the mixture together. No liquid is to be used!)
- Keep kneading until if forms a ball. Roll into a fat sausage shape.
- Wrap in clingfilm and ideally chill for 1 hour. ( 20mins should be ok if you are stuck for time)
- Remove from the fridge, leaving the clingfilm on and cut into 1/2 cm slices.
- Place on the baking tray (no clingfilm now) and bake for 8 to 10 mins. Be sure to leave alot of space between each cookie as they may spread out.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool on baking tray for 2/3 mins . Using a spatula transfer them to a wire tray to cool.
- Enjoy warm.